Thursday, October 30, 2014

A Picture, a Blog Post and a DNA Test

      In March of 2014, I wrote a post called Family Friends Friday-Well Maybe... about finding a picture on ebay of Lenora Ridgill and my hopes of returning it to her family and a follow up post called Matrilineal Monday-Finding Lenora's Descendants about how I was able to do just that!  You can read them by clicking on the links. 
   The picture was returned to Lori Abrams Rauchwerger , Lenora's 3rd great granddaughter. 
  
Lenora Ridgill
Clarendon County, SC


 I thought that was the end of the story until last week when my AncestryDNA test was processed and I was reviewing my matches.
  As I scrolled down the list my eye caught a familiar picture. It was Lori!
 Turns out we have a DNA match that leads to a common ancestor: 

  Claudius Richbourg (1715-1788) from St. Mark's Parish, South Carolina is our 7th great grandfather. 
  
 How incredible is that? We are both stunned. 

Thanks for helping me find a cousin, Lenora!


Are we kin? Please contact me. Together we can find our people!
Thanks so much for stopping by!




   
 

10 comments:

  1. I don't know about you, but I hear the Twilight Zone theme. What a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Cheri! This is an amazing story! Congrats on connecting with a new cousin. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing isn't it? Thanks so much for reading, Jana!

      Delete
  3. Cheri, that is wonderful! What DNA service did you use? I want to try it but am uncertain who to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This match came through the ancestryDNA test. They match up your DNA to your tree and then to others who have done a test and attached it to their trees. Thanks, Colleen!

      Delete
  4. Cheri,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2014/10/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-october-31.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheri, congratulations on being listed in the Fab Finds on Jana's site!

    ReplyDelete