Sunday, December 17, 2017

Celebration Sunday~Genealogy Happy Dance!

You know the dance. You know you've done it. The one every researcher does after finding something new. The one where you want to jump up and down and shout to everyone around that you found the document, contacted a cousin who has the family Bible, made a DNA connection or found a whole new branch to your tree. The one that is met with glazed stares and eye rolls.
                                                          Celebration Sunday is a place to share your discoveries. 
This is a weekly series to enable everyone to tell about their Genealogy Happy Dance moment. This can be done by scrolling down and adding your story to the comments section. You may also put a link to a blog post. 




My Happy Dance This Week:  
 A few weeks ago, I was interviewed by a local TV show about my work as a genealogist. Boy was I nervous as to how it would turn out. It was hotter than expected and there was more noise than we bargained for when jets started practicing "touch and goes" at the nearby airport! We had to stop and start over several times. The video was released just a few days ago. It turned out much better than I had hoped!! Thanks for all the support from those of you who have seen it. I appreciate it so much!

What had you dancing this week?                                                                                    
                

                                                        Share your discovery!
                                                                                   Let the dancing commence!


Share the fun! Click below to tweet this post! 


Looking forward to reading about your Happy Dance moment!


Thanks so much for stopping by!
Helping you climb your family tree,



2 comments:

  1. I was looking around on the Publisher's Extra version of Newspapers.com when I found it. I new from other researchers and my own research that my 3rd Great-Grandmother's maiden name was either Foster or Forester/Forrester but for about 5 years, I haven't been able to confirm it to my satisfaction. I decided to search by her married name "Almeda Potter" and I threw in her husband's first name (Henry) for good measure. I searched Missouri newspapers between 1837 and 1901 because those are the dates which were on her tombstone. In what I later found out was a Baptist newspaper, I found a Baptist minstep who went down to Greene County for the funeral of his sister, "Almeda Potter." I want totally convinced even though the description of Almeda's husband fit my 3rd great-grandfather perfectly. On the next page, I found the name of the Baptist missionary who wrote the passage. The surname was "Forester." Sure enough in one of the Forester families I had located in the area had an Almeda with a couple of brothers. I traced the brothers in later census records and sure enough, brother Solomon was listed as a clergyman. All of this evidence and the lack of any other Almeda Forester Potter, has me convinced enough to craft a proof statement that Almeda's maiden name was Forester, that her brother was Solomon, and that her parents were Thomas and Margaret (confirmed by Solomon's death certificate). Now what was Margaret's maiden name???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lacey, what great sleuthing! Thanks so much for sharing! Let us know when you discover Margaret's maiden name! Doing that happy dance with you!!!

    ReplyDelete