Sunday, October 20, 2019

Off to RootsTech London!




For almost a year we have been hearing about and planning for RootsTech London and now the time is almost here! In just a few short days the Excell London will be full of genealogists and family historians who are there to build their skills, meet new friends and reunite with others.




My journey begins tomorrow as I travel from South Carolina to London. To say I am excited is an understatement. This will not be the first time I have been in England. I lived there for 41/2 years as the daughter of a US AirForce Flight Engineer. But, it's been a long time and to be truthful, as an adolescent I didn't appreciate the history and culture of my home at the time.


My favorite memories are feeling connections at historical sites, some of which I hope to make a family connection to someday,  eating Flake Bars and Malteezers and many other English candies. Drinking Orange Squash is a memory that comes back many times as does Fish and Chips. Speaking of chips, they are french fries you know, chips are called Crisps and the English have the best varieties of flavors of any place I have ever been!
I loved riding the big red double-decker buses back and forth to friend's houses and the train from time to time to London. Frequent visits to local stores to purchase said candy and drinks, plus the latest records and magazines that featured Donny and his brothers The Osmonds and other popular pop stars of the time.  On the TV we watched "Top of the Pops" and American TV shows like the Waltons and the Donny and Marie Show. We also laughed at the antics of "Basil Brush" and knew mom would be watching "Coronation Street".
  
So, as I prepare to leave for London, I think back to all the memories and am anxious to relive some of those. My best friend I met while we were stationed there will be meeting at Heathrow. Our plan is to relive some of those fun times we had together. We'll take a train to Ipswich and ride the double-decker down to Woodbridge Town.  Perhaps the homes we lived in are still there the way we think of them. We will have some Fish and Chips, Orange Squash and at least a Flake or two. We may turn on the TV and look for some old episodes of Coronation Street for old time's sake.


Shenanigans in England form 1972-1976
















So, as I prepare to leave for London, I think back to all the memories and am anxious to relive some of those. My best friend I met while we were stationed there will be meeting me at Heathrow.
Our plan is to relive some of those fun times we had together. We'll take a train to Ipswich and ride the double-decker down to Woodbridge Town.  Perhaps the homes we lived in are still there the way we think of them. We will have some Fish and Chips, Orange Squash and at least a Flake or two. 
We may turn on the TV and look for some old episodes of Coronation Street for old time's sake.



RootsTech London is an opportunity for me to enjoy being around and learning from other genealogists but is also a way to go back in time for a few days to when we were teenagers and remember the stories of us. Friends who are still best friends today.


Still want to register for RootsTechLondon?
It's not too late- click on this link to get your pass!

There will be a Livestream available so you can watch the Keynote Speakers and some of the classes each day. To sign up click here.

A Premium Virtual Pass is also being offered. 
To pay for and order your Virtual Pass click here.

Recently announced is the Free Acess to the Expo Hall for those not attending the whole conference.
Go to the RootsTech Registration Page and sign up to just be able to explore the expo hall. With an amazing number of vendors displaying all things genealogy, this offer can't be beat!

And if you have downloaded the RootstTech London app yet, there's still time to do it and get organized to make the best of this amazing conference. Click here for IOS or Android Downloads.

For those of you who will be attending RootsTech London, please drop by the media hub in the Expo Hall and say hello! Would love to see you again or meet you for the first time!
I've been practicing my selfie skills! lol!

Thanks so much for stopping by!
Helping you climb your family tree,



No comments:

Post a Comment